NVivo 10 contains a small number of known issues, which we’ve listed below. Also, where they’re available, we have given you ‘tips’ or workarounds.
- User defined Reports or Extracts displaying Coding References for datasets that have been autocoded or coded by entire columns may be inaccurate. Currently only one reference is counted per column, whereas List Views in NVivo 10 count each coded cell.
- Chinese and Japanese characters don’t display correctly when saving report results as a PDF document.
- Instead of PDF, save the report as *.docx, *.rtf. or *.html. If you require the report in PDF format, then export the file using the default *.docx option, then open the report in MS Word and save the file as a PDF from MS Word.
- Choosing to ‘Print’ a large dataset may result in the following error message "Table Cell capacity is exceeded. The form has to be closed to restore table state".
- While importing very large Excel datasets, an error may be displayed such as "Spreadsheet contains unsupported data".
- The workaround is to use Excel and export the contents of the relevant spreadsheet as a tab or comma separated file. Then import the text file into NVivo as a dataset.
- Importing large datasets can take a considerable amount of time.
- In some PDF documents, it is not possible to select contents over multiple pages in a top-down (forward) direction.
- To avoid this issue, select contents in a bottom-up (backward) direction.
- When adding a connector between two Model shapes, sometimes the arrow can point the opposite way than intended.
TIP: Resolved in NVivo 10 SP2.
- Select the connector and choose the Reverse Direction Ribbon option.
- Apple QuickTime is no longer supported by Apple. NVivo for Windows uses QuickTime to import and play certain media files. For more information refer to NVivo and Quicktime FAQ
- Some Audio and Video files can fail to import or play correctly.
- Audio and Video files can fail to import or play correctly because the required codecs may not be installed on your machine. Refer to the Help topic Media file formats supported by NVivo 10 for Windows for more information on codecs and how to try and resolve this problem.
- Once in NVivo, links to local files are not retained correctly within documents created in OneNote.
- Instead of linking to a local file, attach the file in OneNote.
- If you wish to link rather than attach files within OneNote, link to a network location rather than a local file.
- The layout of certain OneNote objects, such as pictures and tables, can be lost or content clipped when converted to a document.
- Try to keep the width of your OneNote page as close as possible to a standard page size. This reduces the chances that content outside the bounds of a standard page will be lost during conversion to a document source.
- A slow Internet connection can make it difficult to work with videos captured from YouTube. If you experience problems using video features, such as fast forwarding, it is likely due to the speed of your Internet connection.
- If you are going to be working with a lot of YouTube videos, we recommend you upgrade to a faster Internet connection.
- Merging YouTube social media datasets uses the Folder and Source Name to map to existing datasets in your NVivo project. If you rename the folder or source name in NVivo or capture the YouTube content and give it a different Source Name, merging will not occur and instead a new dataset will be created.
- Avoid renaming the folder or Source name for YouTube data captured if you plan to take multiple captures and update at a later date.
- Text Search Query and Word Frequency Query with Chinese text with search options Synonyms, Specializations and Generalizations is limited to one character.
- Resolved in NVivo 10 Service Pack 4.
- Text Search Query with Chinese text can return incorrect results due to Stop Words.
- Resolved in NVivo 10 Service Pack 4.
- There are compatibility problems with the NVivo Add-In for OneNote and Office 2013. If Office 2013 is installed side-by-side with Office 2007 or Office 2010, then the NVivo Add-In for OneNote will fail to export content.
- There is a known incompatibility issue with Evernote Authorization and Windows XP and IE 8. This can cause Evernote authorization to crash when selecting to 'Import from Evernote' using the 'An Evernote account' option.
- Install Windows XP SP3 and apply all ‘critical’ Windows updates.
- Some notes imported from Evernote may not appear as expected, particularly notes that have been created by third party apps that can send their captured content to Evernote, such as Evernote Hello. This may also occur with certain web pages due to the way they are constructed.
- For best results, use the Evernote Web Clipper.
- The creation of project recovery files can take a long time and impact performance (depending on the size of your project and your computer's specifications).
- If you are experiencing slower performance, you can decrease the frequency at which project recovery files are created or turn them off all together. Refer to the help topic 'Set options for project recovery files' for more information.
- Opening a Source or a Node exported as HTML with Google Chrome (version 42 and above) may have the audio or video content blocked with a message “This site uses a plugin (application/x-mplayer2) that is unsupported”.
- Opening a Source or a Node exported as HTML with Microsoft Edge (the default web browser on Windows 10) does not play or show the Audio or Video conten”.
- Use Internet Explorer to open sources or nodes exported to HTML.