NVivo 10 is an extremely powerful Software program. This is due in part to its use of the database component Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Edition, which is installed as part of the NVivo 10 installation process. Like any Software, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Edition has its own required hardware and Software platform configurations.
Here are our tips for installing NVivo 10. Before you start, check the following:
- You need approximately 2 GB of available hard-disk space during the installation of NVivo 10.
- You must have full Administrator privileges for the computer on which you are trying to install NVivo 10.
- You should disable Antivirus, Antispam and Firewall applications (such as Norton Internet Security) before installing NVivo 10, as these applications can impact the successful installation of the SQL component. Importantly, these should be re-enabled after you have installed NVivo 10.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Edition cannot be installed on compressed or virtual drives, so if you have set up your computer in this manner to conserve disk space, you need to install NVivo 10 on an uncompressed drive.
- If the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server directory (and C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft SQL Server directory if it exists) or any of its subdirectories have the 'Compress' or 'Encrypt' options enabled, then SQL Server may not install or run correctly. You can check this by using the following steps:
- Open Windows Explorer
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server
- Right click on this folder and select Properties from the context menu.
- In the General tab, click on Advanced and ensure both the 'Compress...' and 'Encrypt...' checkboxes are unchecked
- Reinstall NVivo 10 (you may need to uninstall first if you had previously attempted to install)
Please note, you may be prompted and required to restart your computer for the installation to successfully complete.
For further information on installing NVivo 10, click on the following link to download the free NVivo 10 Getting Started Guide: http://download.qsrinternational.com/Document/NVivo10/NVivo10-Getting-Started-Guide.pdf
For further information about installing NVivo 10 on a Windows 8 operating system, click this link to the FAQ: Are there any tips for installing on Windows 8?
When you begin the installation process, NVivo 10 for Windows may display an information message if any problems are detected. The message will direct you to a web link with further information to successfully complete your NVivo 10 installation.