Windows 8 is the latest operating system offered by Microsoft.The following three editions of Windows 8 are supported by NVivo 10 and all its supplementary products:
- Window 8
- Windows 8 Pro
- Windows 8 Enterprise
Windows 8 also introduces an edition of the operating system designed to run on devices that utilize the ARM architecture
, known as Windows RT
. The Windows RT edition of Windows 8 is not supported by NVivo, NCapture for Internet Explorer or the NVivo Add-In for OneNote.
Here are our tips for installing NVivo on Windows 8:
- If your NVivo Software doesn't include the latest Service Pack for NVivo 10 (Service Pack 6), please visit the QSR website to download the latest full version Software before installing it on Windows 8.
- If .NET Framework 3.5 isn't already enabled on the computer, you will be prompted to enable it when you install NVivo 10 (Service Pack 6 or later). You can choose to enable .NET Framework 3.5 via the internet or via the Windows 8 DVD. If you get an error message while enabling .NET Framework 3.5 via the internet, check your internet connection and try again.
- The installation of Microsoft SQL Server (NVivo 10's database component) can fail if your computer name is the same as your login name. Instructions to change the computer name to something other than your login name are below:
- From the Start screen, start typing Rename, click on 'Settings' icon below the search bar.
- Click on 'Rename this computer' search result displayed. The System Properties screen opens up
- Click on 'Change..' in the 'Computer Name' tab
- Enter a new name in the 'Computer name:' field and press on OK
If you are prompted to restart the computer after following the above steps, please do so.
When you begin the installation process, NVivo 10 for Windows may display an information message if any problems are detected. The message will direct you to a web link with further information to successfully complete your NVivo 10 installation.