NVivo 9 is an extremely powerful software program. This is due in part to its use of the database component Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Edition, which is installed as part of the NVivo 9 installation process. Like any software, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Edition has its own required hardware and software platform configurations.
Here are our tips for installing NVivo 9. Before you start, check the following:
- You need approximately 2 GB of available hard-disk space during the installation of NVivo 9.
- You must have full Administrator privileges for the computer on which you are trying to install NVivo 9.
- You should disable Antivirus, Antispam and Firewall applications (such as Norton Internet Security) before installing NVivo 9, as these applications can impact the successful installation of the SQL component. Importantly, these should be re-enabled after you have installed NVivo 9.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Edition cannot be installed on compressed or virtual drives, so if you have set up your computer in this manner to conserve disk space, you need to install NVivo 9 on an uncompressed drive.
- If the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server directory or any of its subdirectories have the 'Compress' or 'Encrypt' options enabled, then SQL Server may not install or run correctly. You can check this by using the following steps:
a) Open Windows Explorer
b) Navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server
c) Right click on this folder and select Properties from the context menu.
d) In the General tab, click on Advanced and ensure both the 'Compress...' and 'Encrypt...' checkboxes are unchecked
e) Reinstall NVivo 9 (you may need to uninstall first if you had previously attempted to install)
Please note, you may be prompted and required to restart your computer for the installation to successfully complete.
For further information on installing NVivo 9, click on the following link to download the free NVivo 9 Getting Started Guide: http://download.qsrinternational.com/Document/NVivo9/NVivo9-Getting-Started-Guide.pdf