NVivo is very slow or crashes when opening Nodes and/or shows one of the following errors:
- No printers are installed.
- The left/right margins overlap the width of the page.
- The RPC server is unavailable.
- The page height is too large.
- Parameter is not valid
What should I do now?
NVivo relies on a default printer to function correctly. When you open a source or node in your project, NVivo accesses the default printer's settings to display the content of that node or source.
Please ensure you have a printer installed (and a printer set as ‘Default’) on your computer. Note, this does not have to be a physical printer.
To choose a default printer:
- Open Control Panel
- Windows 10/Windows 8 - Press the Windows key + X, and then click Control Panel
- Windows 7 - Click Start button and then click Control Panel.
- Under Hardware and Sound, click View devices and printers.
Note: This step assumes that the Control Panel is set up to view by Category. If it is set up to view by Icons, just click Devices and Printers.
A green check mark shows which printer is set as Default.
To set a printer as your default, right-click the image of the printer you want and click Set as default printer.
If you do not have a printer installed, please select 'Microsoft XPS Document Writer' as your default printer.
If the issue persists, please contact support by submitting a support request form available at http://www.qsrinternational.com/nvivo-support/contact-support
Also, provide the following information with your support request:
- If NVivo is crashing when opening Nodes, does the issue happen with all nodes/certain nodes.
- Screenshot of error message(s) (if any). You can take a screenshot by pressing Alt + Print Screen (PrtScn on some keyboards), paste into a Word or WordPad document and save. Attach the saved document to your support request.
- Does the same issue occur in the NVivo Sample Project? Refer to the link below on how to access the sample project: http://www.qsrinternational.com/nvivo-support/faqs/nvivo-sample-project
- NVivo error logs, if any. Refer to FAQ below based in your NVivo version: