You should deactivate your NVivo 8, 9, NVivo 10 for Windows, NVivo 11 for Windows or NVivo for Mac license key:
- Before transferring the license key to a different user.
- Prior to uninstalling NVivo, or moving NVivo to a new computer.
- Prior to reformatting or reimaging your computer.
To deactivate your license key, ensure that you are connected to the Internet and then follow the steps below
- Close any projects you have open (File > Close), saving projects when prompted if appropriate.
- NVivo 11 for Windows - Click on the File tab, point to Help, point to Manage License and click Deactivate License. Click Yes to confirm. Note: If you are using an older version of NVivo 11 for Windows, instructions to deactivate are the same as NVivo 10 for Windows below.
- NVivo 10 for Windows or NVivo 9: Click on the File tab, point to Help and click Deactivate License. Click Yes to confirm.
- NVivo 8: From the Help menu, click on Help then Deactivate License. Click Yes to confirm.
- NVivo for Mac: Click on the NVivo menu, point to Licensing and click on Deactivate. Click Deactivate again to deactivate the license. A message is displayed to confirm that the license has been deactivated.
- Click OK
- The NVivo application automatically closes.
Note: Deactivating your license key does not affect your projects. Your projects are by default stored in your Documents folder and have a file extension of:
- .nvp if you are using NVivo 11 for Windows, NVivo 10 for Windows, NVivo 9 or NVivo 8
- .nvpx if you are using NVivo for Mac