NVivo 12 Windows contains a small number of known issues, which we’ve listed below. Also, where available, we have given you ‘tips’ or workarounds.
Application and Projects
- The creation of project recovery files can take a long time and impact performance (depending on the size of your project and your computer's specifications).
If you are experiencing slower performance, you can decrease the frequency at which project recovery files are created or turn them off altogether. Refer to the help topic Set options for project recovery files
for more information.
- Selecting “NVivo Server 11 project” when copying or exporting projects creates an NVivo 12 project.
- Navigation View does not collapse correctly on machines with DPI setting over 100%.
: If you are working with a DPI setting over 100% you can manually resize the Navigation View by dragging the divider.
- Scrolling very large PDFs may not scroll smoothly.
- Importing NVivo 10 and earlier projects with PDFs may result in more coding references, annotations or 'See Also' links. This is due to improvements to PDFs introduced in NVivo 11, in particular identifying the order or flow of text in certain PDFs. For more information refer to 'Open a project created in an earlier version of NVivo' FAQ.
- Importing surveys can take more than 30 minutes. Note that there are a number of factors that impact the time required to import a survey, such as the number of responses, number of open ended questions, amount of text in responses and the number of closed ended questions.
- Certain matrix question types in Survey Monkey can have two answers (a rating and a comment field) and as a result cannot be imported.
: You may export the Survey responses from SurveyMonkey to Excel and Import using the standard Import Survey function in NVivo.
- Qualtrics Survey import does not currently support certain non-English text in Survey or Question Names, instead showing as “~” (tilde symbol). This is a current limitation with the Qualtrics API.
- Surveys with text responses that contain paragraphs come through as four backslashes ‘\\\\’.
- Importing classification sheets can take several minutes. Note that there are a number of factors that impact the time required to import a classification sheet, such as the number of rows and the number of Attributes.
- New reference types added in EndNote X7 and X8 are not supported e.g. Podcast, Interview and Press Release. Importing references assigned to these reference types will not be classified if the Import option Assign to is set to “Different classification based on record type”.
: Use the import option Assign to
“A single classification (Reference)” instead.
- When emails are grouped by conversation in Outlook, only the top (most recent) email will be imported.
Switch Group by View option off in Outlook prior to export.
- From field content for embedded email (emails attached to other emails) are populated with incorrect values for some non-English languages, such as Japanese.
- After scrolling down, some email PDFs cannot be scrolled all the way back to the top using the mouse wheel.
- An empty Case or Node will be created when Auto coding a Social Media Dataset choosing ‘Use the style or structure’ by Row or Column respectively.
Printing & Exporting
- User defined Reports or Extracts displaying Coding References for datasets that have been autocoded or coded by entire columns may be inaccurate. Currently only one reference is counted per column, whereas List Views in NVivo count each coded cell.
- Opening a File or a Code exported as HTML with Google Chrome (version 42 and above) may have the audio or video content blocked with a message “This site uses a plugin (application/x-mplayer2) that is unsupported”.
- Opening a File or a Code exported as HTML with Microsoft Edge (the default web browser on Windows 10) does not play or show the Audio or Video content.
Use Internet Explorer to open files or codes exported to HTML.
- Chinese and Japanese characters don’t display correctly when saving report results as a PDF document.
Instead of PDF, save the report as *.docx, *.rtf. or *.html. If you require the report in PDF format, then export the file using the default *.docx option, then open the report in MS Word and save the file as a PDF from MS Word.
- Choosing to ‘Print’ a large dataset may result in the following error message "Table Cell capacity is exceeded. The form has to be closed to restore table state".
- Characters may be squished together and hard to read when printing Annotations with certain non-English text, e.g. Japanese.
TIP: You may work around this problem by changing the font. To do this go to Project Properties and on the Paragraph Styles tab change the font for “Normal” styling to “Segoe UI” and apply.
- ‘Export Codebook’ not enabled in context menu when a node is selected in the List View.
- Once added to a Project Map, item names are not updated if changed.
- Long Node names being cut-off in Maps.
- Manual placement of shapes on a Mind Map is not saved. The map redraws when you insert a child or sibling shape or apply a layout option from the gallery.
- OneNote Tags, Handwritten content, Drawings (including boxes, lines and highlighting) are not brought across to NVivo.
- Pages in password protected OneNote sections are not shown and cannot be accessed for import in NVivo.
- The ‘Insert File Printout’ function in OneNote will attach the original file and also create a set of subpages for any document that is 10 pages or more in length. In this scenario, the screenshot images on subpages may not import into NVivo.
Viewing the subpages in OneNote triggers OneNote to create the screenshots, then the notebook page content can be successfully imported into NVivo.
- The ‘Full Page’ and ‘Region’ options in the WebClipper tool for OneNote only save browser content as images. Text functionality such as Text Search Query, Word Frequency Query and coding text references will not be available when importing these images to NVivo.
Use the ‘Article’ option when using WebClipper, which saves the text content as text, not as an image
- On certain machines an error may occur after verifying OneNote permissions where the next screen will say “This program cannot display the webpage”.
Apply Windows updates to resolve this problem.
- Using the NVivo Add-on for OneNote, once in NVivo, links to local files are not retained correctly within documents created in OneNote.
- Instead of linking to a local file, attach the file in OneNote.
- If you wish to link rather than attach files within OneNote, link to a network location rather than a local file.
- The layout of certain OneNote objects, such as pictures and tables, can be lost or content clipped when converted to a document using the NVivo Add-In for OneNote.
Try to keep the width of your OneNote page as close as possible to a standard page size. This reduces the chances that content outside the bounds of a standard page will be lost during conversion to a document source.
- Some notes imported from Evernote may not appear as expected, particularly notes that have been created by third party apps that can send their captured content to Evernote, such as Evernote Hello. This may also occur with certain web pages due to the way they are constructed.
For best results, use the Evernote Web Clipper.
Web Data & Social Media
- A slow Internet connection can make it difficult to work with videos captured from YouTube. If you experience problems using video features, such as fast forwarding, it is likely due to the speed of your Internet connection.
If you are going to be working with a lot of YouTube videos, we recommend you upgrade to a faster Internet connection.
- Merging YouTube social media datasets uses the Folder and File Name to map to existing datasets in your NVivo project. If you rename the folder or file name in NVivo or capture the YouTube content and give it a different Name, merging will not occur and instead a new dataset will be created.
Avoid renaming the folder or file name for YouTube data captured if you plan to take multiple captures and update at a later date.
- The Dataset preview provided when viewing Vertex or Edge Tweets for a sociogram cannot be filtered.
- When generating a sociogram for a large Twitter dataset, NVivo displays no progress feedback.