After installing NVivo for Mac, when you open the software for the first time you are prompted to enter and activate your license key (or start a 14 day trial).
Activation is a simple and secure process that ensures only valid licenses are used to operate the software.
If you’re using a trial version of the software, you do not need to enter a key, but you must still activate the trial before you can use NVivo.
To start NVivo and activate your license:
Contacting QSR to activate
- Click the NVivo icon in the dock or double-click the NVivo icon in the Applications folder in the Finder. You may be prompted to enter my machine Password.
- Accept the license agreement.
- On the Welcome to NVivo for Mac dialog, enter your license key (or click 14-day trial) and then click Next.
You can find the license key on the NVivo for Mac packaging or if you downloaded the software you can find the key in the email communication from QSR. To ensure accuracy, we recommend you copy and paste the license key from the email.
- In the License Activation dialog, enter your details and click Activate—if you are connected to the Internet, you can activate immediately.
If activating via the Internet is not successful or you do not have an Internet connection, you will see new options at the top of the License Activation
screen. These options enable you to send an activation request to QSR by email, mail, fax or phone.
To send an activation request by email, mail or fax, contact QSR as follows depending on the activation method you have selected:
Activating by Email
Click the Send
button. NVivo will generate an activation request email using your default mail client (e.g. Apple Mail, Outlook). Send this email to email@example.com.
If you use web mail (e.g. Hotmail, Yahoo, Google) you can take a screen shot of the completed License Activation
screen by pressing the Command (⌘)
keys. After pressing these keys the image will be saved on your desktop. Submit a support request form and attach the saved file to your support request.
Activating by Mail/Fax
Click on the Print
button. Details of where to send the activation request form are provided in the printed document.
Once we receive your request, we’ll then determine how to proceed with your activation.
To enter the Activation Key provided by QSR:
- If you are not prompted to activate your license when you start NVivo, click NVivo > Licensing > Activate from the NVivo app menu.
- At the top of the License Activation dialog box, select Email,Mail/Fax or Phone from the pop-up menu.
- In the Activation Key field, enter the Activation Key provided by QSR.
- Click Activate.