Before you move NVivo 10 for Windows to a new computer, make sure you have your full 25 character NVivo 10 license key handy. You will find the key in the email you received from QSR (if you downloaded the software) or on the packaging (if you purchased the physical installation media – USB flash drive or DVD). If you’re using NVivo as part of an enterprise license, your organization’s enterprise license contact should be able to provide you with this key.
Deactivating your license
To transfer NVivo 10 from one computer to another, firstly deactivate the license on the original computer. To do this:
- Make sure that you are connected to the Internet.
- If you have an NVivo project open, you must close the project before you can deactivate the license.
- Click the File tab, point to Help, and then click Deactivate License.
- Click Yes to confirm.
NVivo deactivates the license and displays a message to confirm that the license has been deactivated.
- Click OK
The NVivo application automatically closes.
Re-installing and activating your software
To re-install NVivo 10 on your new computer, we recommend you download the most recent version of our software which can be found at: http://www.qsrinternational.com/support_downloads.aspx
Step by step instructions for installing and activating NVivo 10 can be found in the NVivo 10 guide to ‘Getting Started’. We’ve provided the link to this guide in the ‘related links’ section below.
Once the software is installed on your new computer, when you open NVivo 10 for the first time you will need to enter and activate your license.
Moving existing projects
Once you’ve installed the NVivo 10 software on your new computer, you may also wish to move your existing NVivo projects to the new computer. There are two ways for you to do this:
- Launch NVivo 10 and at the Welcome screen click the File tab, point to Manage then select Copy Project; OR
- Using Windows Explorer, locate your NVivo 10 project file and copy it to the intended location.