Step 1 – Locate your NVivo 12 License Key
Your NVivo 12 License Key will have been emailed to you previously by QSR or via the partner you purchased NVivo through earlier this year.
Haven't received your license key?
Please check your spam filter. If it's not there, contact us.
Activating your NVivo 12 key will automatically deactivate NVivo 11.
Step 2 – Download and install NVivo 12
Go to the NVivo download page and install the latest version of NVivo 12.
Step 3 for Windows – Activate NVivo 12
- Open NVivo 12.
- Click the File tab, point to Help, then Manage License and click Activate License.
- Refer to your NVivo 12 license key sent via the separate email.
- On the License Activation dialog box, enter details. Fields marked with an asterisk (*) must be completed.
- Click Activate.
Step 3 for Mac – Activate NVivo 12
- Click the NVivo icon in the dock or double-click the NVivo icon in the Applications folder in the Finder. You may be prompted to enter my machine Password.
- Accept the license agreement.
- On the Welcome to NVivo for Mac dialog, enter your license key and then click Next.
- In the License Activation dialog, enter your details and click Activate – if you are connected to the Internet, you can activate immediately.
Step 4 – Transition your projects
It's easy, just open your NVivo 11 projects in NVivo 12. Projects from older versions that are opened in NVivo 12 will be updated to an NVivo 12 project format. However, please note that projects created in NVivo 12 for Windows and Mac cannot be opened in, or shared with, earlier versions of NVivo. NB: NVivo for Windows projects need to be converted before they can be opened in NVivo for Mac. Pease refer to Working with projects on Windows and Mac for more information.